Sunday, February 18, 2007

Home sweet home

We didn't realize how comfortable our own bed was. We just wish we were able to spend more time there at night.

Our trip back was long, long, long! But N. did surprisingly well on the flights and in the airports. After getting up at 4:30am on Wed for our trip to the airport in Guangzhou, we had a slight (slight?) problem at the airport. When I booked N.'s ticket for the return flight, I was under the assumption that she would have a legal name change in China. So I used N
...make sense, right? Well, since her Chinese passport still used her Chinese name, they didn't want to check her in. Well another blessing came in the form of another groups translator, who helped us at the JAL support desk. I had decided to pack all our paperwork in our carry-on luggage, which was providential since I was able to find her adoption certificate, which also had her American name on it. That convinced the airline to let her fly with us. After much confusion, they rushed us through security and we made it on the flight with about 10 minutes to spare. N. slept most of the way on the first flight, which was nice since we were stuck in the middle two seats of the center row.

We had a 6hr layover in Tokyo, so we found a quiet spot in one of the corridors and setup shop there. We took out all her toys, and we were able to play, eat and keep her awake for the whole time.

Another problem developed in Tokyo when we tried to check-in. We had the same name-problem with N., which again took them about 45 minutes to rectify. By this time we were REALLY happy with our adoption agency here in the states! It was so nice of them to warn us of this potential problem!!! But the second problem was a little more serious, it seems that when they made all the changes in Guangzhou that morning, they "separated" my reservations, and for some reason they had me listed as not showing up for the flight so my reservation was canceled. After assuring the agent that I was, in fact, standing in front of her, so I must have made it onto the flight, the best she could do was put me on "stand-by" for the flight. The language barrier sure didn't help, but I assured her that I HAD to get on this flight, it wasn't an option. After 1.5 hrs at the counter, I decided to just pray that it would work out and I stopped worrying about it. We waited until the flight was closed (40 mins prior to departure) and when I showed up at the counter there was a boarding pass waiting for me there.

On the second leg, from Tokyo to JFK, N. became that screaming baby that everyone on the flight turns around to look at with evil eyes that said "can't you get control of your baby?". I've decided there is nothing in this world more stressful and nerve-racking than a screaming baby in your arms that you cannot console or quiet. Luckily, we don't have to experience it too often. The screaming only lasted for about 30 minutes (only?), and she finally fell asleep. Later in the flight she turned into the happy baby, smiling and making faces at everyone around her. I told her I don't think it was making up for the earlier screaming session, but she was oblivious to my advice.

Our arrival into JFK was delayed in the air for about 45 minutes because of the major snow/ice storm that had happened during the day. But we finally landed and got to the gate only about 50 minutes late. Considering all the other problems we heard about at JFK, this was a blessing.

Since N. was entering the US under a permanent resident visa, we even were able to skip the long "returning resident" line at customs. They processed her paperwork without issue, and we met my parents out in the airport waiting area. They were understandably so glad to see her, and she even had a few smiles left to give after her 24hr trip.

It was such a relief to be home with her, after this 27 month ordeal. She is very jet-lagged, and wants to get up to play at 1 or 2 in the morning still, but she is getting better. Last night we both got about 6hrs of sleep, which was such a bonus. She even slept to 6:20 this morning. We are enjoying her more everyday, (the sleep is helping). And my parents have been a great help with food and babysitting, allowing C. to get some needed sleep during the day. I struggled through 2 days of work on Thursday and Friday, but this weekend has been great being home relaxing, as much as you can relax with an 11 month old around. It is good to be a Dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, Carmen,
It has been wonderful to keep abreast of your trip. Great to have the three of you back! Thanks so much for your testimony. God bless each of you.

Anonymous said...

Carmen, Dan and Natalia
What an amazing journey. I can't wait to meet your daughter! She is a breath of sunshine. Sending lots of hugs and good wishes.
love,
Maribel Corbett and Family
P.S.-kids are looking forward to meeting Natalia. Hopefully we can do it soon.